Present Perfect and Present Perfect Progressive in contrast

 

Present Perfect

Present Perfect Progressive

I have waited for ten minutes. Now the train has arrived.

I have been waiting for ten minutes. The train hasn't arrived yet.

I have read that book for two weeks. Now I have finished reading it!

I have been reading that book for two weeks. There are still nine chapters to go.

They have built a new house. Look. It's very beautiful.

They have been building a new house since last April. They haven't finished yet.

Paul has studied law. He is a lawyer.

Peter has been studying law for some time now. But he hasn't taken his exams yet.

The astronauts have flown through space. They have reached Mars now.

The astronauts have been flying through space. They are still far from Mars.

The cat has sat in front of the door for half a minute until I have let her out.

The cat has been sitting in front of the door for half a minute. I should let her out.


Exercise

She (read) the new Grisham novel already.

They (talk) for three or four hours now.

She (finish) reading her new book about horses.

The waiter finally (bring) the lasagne.

He (know) his old friend for twenty-five years now.

So far he (eat) five slices of bread.

I never (be) to Melbourne.

How long you (play) that ridiculous computer-game already?

You (see) my new computer?

I (not find) my driver's licence.

I (look) for it everwhere.

I (live) in this house tiny apartment twenty years.

He (work) for this factory for twenty years now.

He (come) home for the holiday.

She (sit) on the couch the whole day. 


Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Literatur und Interpretation. Ein Unterrichtsvortrag mit (un)gewöhnlichen Beispielen

James Thurber : "The rabbits who caused all the trouble" (interpretation)

Dürrenmatt: Das Unternehmen der Wega (I) Kontext und Inhalt